ABOUT & CONTACT, Cinema Detroit
ABOUT & CONTACT
Welcome to Cinema Detroit
CINEMA DETROIT is metro Detroit’s only truly independent cinema, delivering an eclectic, quirky and quality mix of contemporary, indie, cult, genre, and classic movies in the heart of the city. Established in 2013, it is also the only first-run 7-day-a-week movie theater in Greater Downtown. Located at 4126 Third Street, 48201, we feature movies in a unique setting – the former Weber Furniture Store – and freshly made popcorn, Faygo pop, and occasionally other locally-made treats.
CINEMA DETROIT is a community-based, mission-driven non-profit cinema that exists to benefit the community and the arts. Specifically, Cinema Detroit:
- Promotes media literacy and arts education.
- Provides a community gathering place for watching films and for the dialogue that they spark.
- Provides the city of Detroit and the metro Detroit region with access to a breadth of film options, from mainstream to local, especially the best independent film.
CINEMA DETROIT was founded by Paula and Tim Guthat. They’re lifelong Detroiters and longtime movie fans who have been watching and writing about movies for many years. Paula is the programmer, booker, and projectionist, while Tim manages the house and box office. Before starting Cinema Detroit, she worked at the University of Detroit Mercy as a social media manager and strategist, graphic and web designer, writer, editor, and proofreader. During her 12 years at the University, she created much of UDM’s branding and initiated and developed its social media presence. In 2011, Paula founded TCM Party, a live tweet of films shown on the Turner Classic Movies channel, which has evolved into a dynamic community of classic movie fans. Tim is the director of operations, managing the day-to-day activities, including the box office, ticketing, accounts, and scheduling. Before co-founding Cinema Detroit, he taught secondary economics, history and English.
They both love the City of Detroit and the many possibilities it offers, and look forward to seeing you in Midtown soon.
Find Us / Contact
We are located at 4126 Third Street, Detroit, Michigan, 48201.
- Adult Tickets: $9.00
- Students and Seniors: $8.00
- Members: $7.50 (more info here!)
- Children 12 and younger: $7.00
- Or snacks range in price from $1.00 for cnady to $7.50 for a large popcorn.
- All tickets sales are final. No refunds or exchanges.
- We stop selling tickets to a movie 20 minutes after its posted showtime.
- Talking, texting, and other disruptive behaviors are not allowed. Individuals who talk, text, or are disruptive will be escorted from the theater.
- Outside food and/or beverages are not permitted in the auditoriums.
- All patrons 17 years old or younger must be accompanied by a parent or guardian. Infants and children under 5 are only allowed at designated screenings.
- Please ask before leaving promotional materials or distributing them at our screenings.
Parking is FREE with ticket purchase in off-street lot right next to the building. Enter through the glass doors under the green awning.
A Note About Our Pre-Shows (trailers, etc.)
Seating is general admission (not reserved) so please plan to arrive and be seated 10-15 minutes BEFORE the scheduled showtime. Our pre-shows are 8-10 minutes long, so you can start enjoying the movie quickly.
Yes, Cinema Detroit is wheelchair accessible!
We also have a wheelchair-accessible bathroom.
Content advisory sites
Many of our films are not rated and there is a great deal of variation between all films assigned the same rating. Not all films will be listed but you may want to consult the following sites to be aware of what’s in each title.
Common Sense Media — Advice for parents
Does The Dog Die — Crowdsourced emotional spoilers in 60+ categories
Unconsenting Media — Provides information about rape and sexual assault in TV and movies