CINEMA DETROIT is metro Detroit’s only truly independent cinema, delivering an eclectic, quirky and quality mix of contemporary, indie, cult, genre, and classic movies in the heart of the city. It is also the only first-run 7-day-a-week movie theater in Greater Downtown. Located at 4126 Third Street, 48201, we feature movies in a unique setting – a former furniture factory – and freshly made popcorn, Faygo soda, and occasionally other locally-made treats.
CINEMA DETROIT is a community-based, mission-driven for-profit cinema that exists to benefit the community and the arts. Specifically, Cinema Detroit will:
• Promote media literacy and arts education.
• Provide a community gathering place for watching films and for the dialogue that they spark.
• Provide the city of Detroit and the metro Detroit region with a breadth of film options, especially the best independent film.
CINEMA DETROIT was founded by Paula and Tim Guthat. They’re lifelong Detroiters and longtime movie fans who have been watching and writing about movies for many years. Paula is the programmer, booker, and projectionist, while Tim manages the house and box office. Before starting Cinema Detroit, she worked at University of Detroit Mercy as a social media manager and strategist, graphic and web designer, writer, editor, and proofreader. During her 12 years at the University, she created much of UDM’s branding, and initiated and developed its social media presence. In 2011, Paula founded TCM Party, a live tweet of films shown on the Turner Classic Movies channel, which has evolved into a dynamic community of classic movie fans. Tim is the director of operations, managing the day-to-day activities, including the box office, ticketing, accounts, and scheduling. Before co-founding Cinema Detroit, he taught secondary economics, history and English.
They both love the City of Detroit and the many possibilities it offers, and look forward to seeing you in Midtown soon.
• Talking, texting, and other disruptive behaviors are not allowed. Individuals who talk, text, or are disruptive will be escorted from the theater.
• We only give refunds or exchanges before the start of the movie.
• We stop selling tickets to a movie 20 minutes after its posted showtime.
• Outside food and/or beverages are not permitted in the auditoriums.
• All patrons 17 years old or younger must be accompanied by a parent or guardian. Infants are only allowed at designated screenings.
• Please ask before leaving promotional materials or distributing them at our screenings.